1.17.2013

...




I am not a materialistic person at all. Like, at all. Here lately, I have literally felt my heart breaking.
Society today has put such pressure on us. A negative pressure. Society and the media have painted a picture of what we should look like, how we should dress, what we should drive, etc. It is heartbreaking.
I strongly dislike the image that the media has put out.

The other day, I was in JcPennys with mom and dad. A shirt we got for dad was too small so he went with us to find a different one. I noticed an older man slowly walking/browsing the clothes. He had a pair of jeans folded up and was carrying them with both hands. I was being a people watcher and kept looking at him out of the corner of my eye or from behind shelves..(yes I am a creeper. lol) He would walk up to a table with shirts and just stand there and look. He'd maybe grab a shirt and then put it down. So me, being the sensitive girl I am, ultimately assumed that he maybe didn't have enough money. (I want to cry just thinking about it). But then I got to thinking, maybe he is just a clueless guy and really does not know what kind of shirt to get, or maybe he just didn't like any of the shirts.

Next-
I saw a car today that reminded me of a old teammates dad. He drove and still drives an 1989 Honda. (NOTHING wrong with that AT ALL.) It made me think about the times I hung out with his daughter. I remember their house and I remember hearing parents at the field talking about them. Something to do with not having money and having a tough time making ends meet. That was 8 years ago. They still live in the same house and drive the same car. I cried on my way home tonight after seeing the car that reminded me of them...My parents have always lived comfortably. If something was needed, they were able to get it. I am so blessed and so grateful. I think about every person and every family out there that cannot do that. That their child may need a winter coat, but they do not have enough money to provide that. It breaks my heart.

This all stems back to the image the media sends- imagine, these people who don't live the life that the media does..their esteem, their feeling of self worth. I can guess that it is pretty low. Below low. It's so crazy.
I want EVERYONE to know, that your worth does NOT COME from the material things in this life. Your worth doesn't come from how nice of a vehicle you drive, or how much money you have, or how big of a home you have. Your worth is found in GOD. He calls YOU worthy.And once this is realized, life changes.
I know it is hard to not get caught up. (And let me say, I am in no way saying that having nice things is not okay! What I am saying is that, our worth is not found in those things. We all like to have nice things..so please please please do not think I am saying that it's not okay. ) With the image and message being put out by society/media today, it may seem like you're not good enough or you're not worth anything.

I am sorry this is long and on and on, but my heart really is sad. I wish that there was something I could do. Something I could say..to just let someone know that hey, you ARE great and you ARE worth more and beyond!! And don't ever let anyone tell you different.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. I constantly have to remind myself not to get caught up in the materialistic aspect or life, it can be so easy to do so. Thanks for this reminder. It's so sad how our culture views money, things, goldsmiths instead of caring for and about people. So sad,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post totally touched my heart! You seem like such a beautiful person inside & out, and I just love reading your posts:)! xxxErinNicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. social media sure does have a way of sending that message, especially to little ones. It's great that you write to remind us all our worth truly comes from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't classify myself as a materialistic person either, but I do feel the pull of "want" more often than I'd care to admit. For me, I am still learning to be content and to be thankful. Then, as you mentioned, to not let a "lack of" define my worth. As for what we can do? I think we just need to do what we can. Donate our excess, give till it hurts...

    Love your new blog "look". Way cute!

    P.S. Let's try a girl's lunch again soon and I'll make sure my hubby can keep the little dude. He's so much fun, but he can make it hard to chat...

    ReplyDelete