I'm still processing things in my life and where I'm going.
I'm always coming across the articles online that have to do with "Being single in your twenties" and "46 things that justify still being in college in your mid-twenties" , and blah blah blah blah. It is so so annoying. (Insert the emoji hand claps between "so so" up there.) But yet I read them, and I laugh and I find myself agreeing with certain things and totally understanding where the writer is coming from. I totally get it when that writer says "It's totally okay to guzzle wine when you see that yet ANOTHER friend has gotten engaged." ..Ohhhh girl. or guy. whoever you are writing that article...I get you. I got you. I understand you.
I've always been the type of girl who can't wait for marriage and to have kids and to have that sweet southern life. Not anymore. Where did that girl go?? Uhhm..hopefully far far far far away. Ain't no marriage or babies in my future for a LONG LONG time. I mean, if God brings that special person to my life then obviously I would have a change of heart and mind. This is just how I feel lately. (But Yes, I am about to turn 25. And no, I don't think I should have a kid by now. Thank you though.)
I get it. I do. I really get it--people are defined by these things. Defined by their relationship status. Defined by their parental status. Oh, you're 21 and have a baby? That is too young. Oh, you're 27 and not married nor have kids? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?? Seriously...that is what it sounds like these days. In my case it's more of "oh I'm sure you'll end up with what's-his-face." Wait, I like this one better...."So when are you getting married? Me:Uhhh I don't even have a boyfriend..sooo not anytime soon. Them: Oh I'm sure men are just chasing after you. Pay them some attention. You're getting older now and need to settle down." SETTLE DOWN? SERIOUSLY?? PUH-LEEEAAASE. If I settle down anymore I would be a flipping TREE. C'mon now.
So if you're not tired of my ranting yet, great. If you are...you don't have to keep reading..
SO Here is MY list, yes my own personal thoughts listed out as to why I am just fine and happy with how I am living my little 24 year old life:
1. Me, myself, and I. - seriously. I don't have to answer to anyone. I am only responsible for MYSELF. I am able to focus on ME, and who I AM. What I want to do with my life. Where I want to go. What kind of person do I want to be with? Better yet, what kind of person do I want to be.
2. Living at home- Okay, so yeah, I do live at home with my parents. But while all you kiddos who live in the same town as your parents but just had to get your own place as soon as you graduated high school so you could feel like the adult that you weren't (yes, I went there.) - I have been living at home. Rent free. Yes, I pay my own bills, but seriously..there's a trust between my parents and I so I've been free to come and go as I please and be responsible. Thanks mom and dad. Oh, and did I mention saving money comes into play here?? Yep. #BOOM.
3. I work from home- A LOT of people do not understand this. Like at all. And that's okay...because I really honestly don't care to explain myself. All I can say is that two years ago an amazing opportunity fell into my lap and ever since then I've been working for this company. Right up my degree alley. Social media smart. So yes, doubters, I DO work in SOCIAL MEDIA and guess what?! IT'S A JOB! It's a CAREER!
4. College life- I love the fact that I am still in college. I love wearing yoga tights and big t's every day with a fleece pullover. I love stopping by that Dunkin Donuts by campus and I LOVE, I repeat I LOVE school supplies. In fact, I CAN'T WAIT for classes to start up in two weeks. So yes, this may be my 6th year in college but it's because my 2nd year I HATED the career track I was on so I decided to go a different route and really took the time to figure out what I wanted to do in my life. To find and do something that I love. To excel at it. Guess what? I found it.
5. I do what I want- Baseball games, Dairy Queen, Ben&Jerry's, FRIENDS, laying out, spending three hours at the gym....staying up late just laughing with someone, being ME, loving life...drinking coffee in my hammock.. DOING NOTHING...driving with the music up and windows down..all because I can. All because I am learning to embrace this life. Day by day. Moment by moment. Not stressing or worrying about tomorrow and the future to come. Not worrying about making someone upset with me. Not worrying about getting broken up with. Not worrying about a thing.
Y'all..life is short. Too short. So make sure that you are living your life how YOU want to live it. NOT how someone else wants you to live it. Be who you want to be. Love who you want to love.
Take chances. Date that boy...or Boys date that girl. Be honest. Take the risk to trust. Let go of the past. Meet new people, make memories, laugh, have fun, travel and explore. Go fishing. Just don't make yourself grow up at someone else's pace.
Do YOU. BE YOU.